Lakewood United Methodist Church
Tuesday, May 21, 2013
North Little Rock, Arkansas
The Broadway Bridge Project
- The Broadway Bridge Project in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.
- An interesting, worthy and heart-warming experience during last winter's snowstorm. Read this email.
About the Broadway Bridge Project: On the second Thursday of each month, we serve hot food under the Broadway Bridge to our brothers and sisters without homes. We also collect clothes, food and other necessities for distribution. We are always looking for volunteers and new ways to help our neighbors.
The Broadway Bridge Project is a local interfaith effort to help the homeless in Central Arkansas. Started by Elizabeth Dowell in 2006, there are now many local churches and groups that collect clothing, food, and other items. Each group sponsors a meal one night a month, preparing it, taking it to Little Rock, and then serving it under the Broadway Bridge. Used clothes, donated goods, sleeping bags, work shoes, toiletry items are distributed along with cold drinks and bottled water.
If you would like to participate, there are several different ways you can help:
- Meeting at church at 4:00 to help prepare the meal.
- Meeting at church at 4:30 to sort donated clothes.
- Leaving church at 5:30 to take the food downtown.
- Serving food and distributing donations starting at 6:00.
- Return to church around 7:00 and finish cleaning up.
If you can't come with us but would like to contribute, consider making a donation of soft drinks (any flavor or brand), fruit (bananas or apples), bottled water or used clothing. We would love to have you help with this amazing ministry that gives you so much more than you put into it. If you have questions, email me or call 350-0886.